Signs and Symptoms of Depression
When you are depressed you may notice some or all of the below issues. Talk to your doctor if you have symptoms that last for two weeks or longer.
Signs of depression include:
- Low or touchy mood most of the time
- A loss of pleasure in normal activities
- Trouble sleeping or sleeping too much
- A big change in appetite, often with weight gain or loss
- Tiredness and lack of energy
- Feelings of worthlessness, self-hate and guilt
- Hard time staying focused
- Slow or fast movements
- Lack of activity and avoiding usual activities
- Feeling hopeless or helpless
Depression can lead to thoughts of death or suicide, which can be dangerous. Call your doctor right away if you have these feelings.
Last Physician Review - January 13, 2015