Quitting isn't easy, but you can do it!
- Examine your reasons: Why Quit?
- Remove obstacles: What situations will be hardest for you not to smoke? Make a plan and stick to it
- Contact your doctor: Is the patch, gum, or Zyban right for you?
- It's ok to ask for help: Millions of people have quit, learn from their experiences what works, what doesn't
- Write it down: Your main reason for quitting, and your plan
I've tried before, why try again?
Most smokers have tried to quit at some point, maybe a dozen times. All of these attempts help you learn what works, what doesn't, and what to do to optimize your success.
What can I do to help someone quit?
The first thing to remember is that you cannot MAKE someone quit. A smoker will only quit when he or she is ready. The best thing you can do is be there to offer support: Listen without judgment, allow for bad moods, try to stay positive, celebrate successes with them.