Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Heart Health
- What is my risk for heart disease?
- What is my blood pressure? What does it mean for me and what do I need to do about it?
- What are my cholesterol numbers? (These include total cholesterol, LDL, HDL and triglycerides, a type of fat found in the blood and food.) What do they mean for me and what do I need to do about them?
- What are my “body mass index” and waist measurement? Do they mean that I need to lose weight for my health?
- What is my blood sugar level and does it mean I’m at risk for diabetes? If so, what do I need to do about it?
- What other screening tests for heart disease do I need?
- (If you’re a smoker) What can you do to help me quit smoking?
- How much physical activity do I need to help protect my heart?
- What is a heart healthy eating plan for me?
- How can I tell if I may be having a heart attack? If I think I’m having one, what should I do?
Last Physician Review - January 13, 2015